Saturday, August 6, 2011

Turn to God...FIRST

When I hear the name David, "man after God's own heart" pops into my head. It's a connection that I make, but not necessarily something that I really think about. However, in our recent readings, David's attitude and reliance on God have jumped out at me.

Back in 1 Sam 30 David's wives are taken captive and verses 6-7 show us his response "...David strengthened himself in the Lord his God...And David inquired of the Lord, 'Shall I pursue after this band?'..."

First he drew strength from God in a tough situation. Then he asked God what to do. It's a great example that we should follow.

We see David turning to God over and over again. It's a little different today, because we can't have the same direct conversations that David did, but we should still pray to God for direction when we have decisions to make and praise Him for all that He does for us.

And although we generally aren't hiding out in caves, having family members taken captive, or going into battle, God should be our source of strength and the person we turn to first.

No comments:

Post a Comment