Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Paul...he's a man

I've gone back and reread these verses from 2 Corinthians chapter 11 the past couple of days and wonder how would I withstand these intense trials. Would I give up or would I persevere? I've never endured this type of physical pain or discomfort...not even remotely close.

Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26 on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; 27 in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.

One of his last verses he adds...


28
And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.


I am amazed at how he was able to stay focused and still express concern for individuals and their ability to remain true to the gospel. He is barely alive, yet he is worrying about others. These verses provide an excellent example of empathy, faith, and commitment to serving the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. I really like these verses too. There are several places in 2 Cor. where Paul describes what he and the other evangelists went through for the sake of preaching Christ. Here are a few others that really stood out to me:

    1:8-9
    4:8-10
    6:4-10
    7:5

    As you said, it's amazing what they were willing to endure for the sake of the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete