Sunday, January 23, 2011

Seeking God's Counsel

Today's sermon made me think of our reading this week when Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac. Before the servant entered the city (Genesis 24:10-21) he spoke to the Lord and asked for him to show love to his master, Abraham so he might choose the right wife. Before he finished speaking Rebekah was approaching the spring and the events following allowed the servant to find a wife for Isaac.

Verse 21 tells us that the servant gazed at her in silence to learn whether the Lord had prospered his journey or not. Even though all of the events that had just happened were identical to his request, he still waited to confirm that this was the wife for Isaac.

Today we learned that the Israelites took the Gibeonites at face value and did not seek counsel from the Lord (Joshua 9:14). As a result, the Israelites were tricked into a covenant that God did not want and they had to live with the consequences.

Abraham's servant sought out God's counsel and he answered his request. Let's remember to include God in our daily decisions.

3 comments:

  1. That is such a great point Kendra! I am not sure what the sermon was completely about (I sure miss Rick's Preaching!!) but it is such a trap that we easily can ridicule the Israelites for and not apply to our own lives.

    We always get an answer when we pray for counsel! (yes, wait, or no) sometimes waiting on the Lord's answer can be the hardest part. I tend to think I know whats best for me and especially for Chris, but is it what God wants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has taken me a while to get around to commenting, but the passage where the servant goes looking for a wife for Isaac struck me as well. It seems bold and risky for the servant to lay out the scenario and ask God to fulfill it. Usually it's the other way around. The only other time I can think of people doing something similar is when the disciples cast lots to see who would replace Judas.

    God’s thoughts and ways are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9), so I wouldn't expect Him to answer me on my terms. Things obviously worked out for the servant as he found Rebekah, but I found his methods interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The servants methods do seem to be unusual, but I don't think that he was necessarily wrong in his approach. God's ways are absolutely higher than ours, and he knows what is best for us. His plan for us will be accomplished, whether or not it aligns with what we want. But I do think it is OK to be that open and honest with God, tell Him what we desire, and ask for it AS LONG AS we recognize his supremacy and wisdom and really, truly are at peace with the outcome not going the way we desire, and ultimately surrending our will to His.

    Hope that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete