Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Walking in their shoes...communicating with God

I have been reading along with you all but this is my first post. Each time I read Genesis (or any part of the Bible for that matter), I feel like I can see things in a new light. There is always so much more to learn and think about. While reading up to chapter 31 I see how much information there is on family dynamics and I can't help but think about what it would feel like to be Sarah, Rebekkah, Leah, Dinah, or any one. I think it would have been tough.
There are some people that one could consider role models (i.e. Abraham with regards to his faith). But there is also so much sin (jealousy within families) and it registers that they are all human just like us.

One major difference that strikes me and you may say "duh" to is the way communicating with God is described. For example, 31:10-13 Jacob described his dream where God spoke to him...31:29 God says to Laban, 'Be careful that you speak to Jacob neither good nor bad.' I know that this continues throughout the Old Testament. I can't help thinking about how it must have felt to hear God's voice or have dreams directing specific messages. Wow! Frightening and exciting at the same, I imagine. The Bible, prayer, and praise are our communication tools now. Are these means of communicating with God that much different? Does it matter?

One more thought on this: Our method of communicating with God now requires actions from us. He doesn't appear in dreams or have an audible voice. We open the Bible and read it. We go to Church. We sing aloud. Actually the list can go on and on when you think about it. Actions displaying our faith facilitate communication. I love the passage, "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you." James 4:8 If I were living back in that day, cultural differences aside, or if all else was the same except for how I communicated with God, would I live my life differently? I guess what I'm saying is, 1) is God less tangible now? 2) If so, how does that influence how I live my life as a Christian? 3) Is He really less tangible or is that just a silly excuse?

Thanks. Please let me know if I said anything incorrectly. I'm new to this format of Bible study and don't want to say anything in error or with the wrong tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment