Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mature Infants

1 Cor. 14:20 says "Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature."

I realize he is talking specifically about spiritual gifts in this context, but I think the verse has a broader application as well. It shows how drastically different we are to be regarding evil compared to how we are to be in our knowledge or thinking. Like infants, we ought to be innocent and naive when it comes to the ways of the world. But at the same time we are to be wise and mature in spiritual things. I know there have been times when I have had it backwards, being all too familiar with worldly things and ignorant of spiritual wisdom.

Hopefully meditating on the daily Bible reading will help me resist worldly things and at the same time increase in knowledge, so I will in evil be an infant but in my thinking mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment